Sunday, July 20, 2008

Seven Summers into Life

She cracked one eye open at me. I should know better than to bother my older sister when she's napping. The hammock swayed slightly under her weight. "What?!" The word was more of a statement and less of a question, but I took it as encouragement anyway. "I caught a lizard! He's blue and green and orange and beautiful!" She sighed, like she had more important things to do than listen to her younger sibling natter on about lizards. She popped her gum. "Sure". I opened my hands cautiously, trying to show off but not release the lizard held captive between my gritty fingers.

The lizard's belly was bright blue even though his back was a boring brownish-green with the exception of bright orange spots around its ears. The cool lizard had warmed considerably on the walk up from the creek and exploded from my hands. It was gone before I even realized it was moving. I looked up at my sister with tears in my eyes. "Did you see it?" She smiled. "Sure did. Best I've seen all day."

No comments: